BMW’s first ever electric scooter is expected to be on sale here early in the new year.

The BMW CE 04 will be offered in one high level of specification, with just a few options — priced from $20,350.

A better equipped version, the CE 04 Avantgarde, is available from $20,690 — with a high windshield and Magellan Grey Metallic paint.

With advanced electric drive, forward-looking design and innovative connectivity solutions, the new scooter will offer a new, progressive brand of mobility for urban environments.

CE 04 boasts 31kW and can sprint from 0 to 50 km/h in 2.7 seconds, with a top speed of 120km/h, enabling it to keep up easily with traffic — even on the motorway.

With a battery capacity of 8.9kWh, it has a range of approximately 130km before it needs to be recharged.

The air-cooled lithium-ion high voltage battery can be charged using the integrated charging device plugged into a regular household socket, as well as a from wallbox or public charging station.

When the battery is completely flat, charging takes four hours and 20 minutes with the 2.3kWh 10A charger.

With a 30A quick charger, available as a $1330 option, charging time is reduced to one hour and 40 minutes.

With 20 per cent charge remaining, a quick top up to 80 per cent using a 30A quick charger takes just 45 minutes.

CE 04 comes with Automatic Stability Control (ASC) as standard.

The new system is comparable with the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) system already offered on BMW motorcycles and limits engine torque in relation to rear wheel slip — to provide additional riding safety.

Standard fit BMW Motorrad ABS Pro goes further than standard ABS with integration of a banking sensor and controls braking during bends to further increase safety and stability.

In developing the scooter BMW Motorrad placed particular emphasis on providing opportunities for the rider to choose between maximum efficiency or full riding enjoyment, with three riding modes: ECO, Rain and Road.

CE 04 comes with a 10.25-inch TFT colour screen with integrated map navigation and connectivity.

Its outstanding readability, clear menu navigation and integrated operating concept put the scooter at the forefront of the segment.

For the first time, the new 10.25-inch colour screen makes it possible to display a navigation map in the instrument cluster, meaning an additional display is not required.

Convenience is enhanced via the provision of storage compartments at the front and side and the helmet compartment that can be operated while seated.

CE 04 also features a ventilated mobile phone charging compartment and USB-C charging port.

Lighting is provided by state-of-the-art LED technology, with LEDs for high beam and low beam, a rear LED light plus LED turn indicators.

Even greater safety at night is offered by an adaptive turning light, part of the Headlight Pro package that is fitted to both grades.

Special light functions with “Welcome” and “Goodbye” messages will also be available.

 

Standard specification:

  • Liquid-cooled permanent magnet electric motor
  • 130kW output
  • 62Nm torque
  • 8.9kWh air-cooled lithium ion high voltage battery
  • 2.3kWh charger
  • Tooth-belt driven gearbox (total gear ratio: 10.5)
  • Dynamic Package (Headlight Pro, Adaptive Headlight, Daytime Riding Light, Riding Modes Pro, ABS Pro)
  • Comfort Package (Heated Grips and Backrest Comfort Seat)
  • Seat Heating
  • Tyre Pressure Control
  • Centre Stand
  • LED indicators
  • LED headlight and tail light
  • 10.25-inch TFT display
  • Ventilated mobile phone charging compartment
  • USB-C charging port
  • Front and side storage compartments
  • Light White paint

Options:

  • Backrest Comfort Seat II: No cost option
    (note: recommended for riders above 190cm tall)
  • Windshield High: $140
  • Anti-theft alarm system: $375
  • 30A Quick Charger: $1,330

Avantgarde: 

Includes all standard specification from the CE 04 and adds the following:

  • Windshield High
  • Magellan Grey Metallic paint

Options:

  • Backrest Comfort Seat II: No cost option
    (note: recommended for riders above 190cm tall)
  • Anti-theft alarm system: $375
  • 30A Quick Charger: $1330

CHECKOUT: Electric cars way of the future, history shows

CHECKOUT: Aunty Gladys throws electric switch

Scooter set to power up segment

Riley

Chris Riley has been a journalist for almost 40 years. He has spent half of his career as a writer, editor and production editor in newspapers, the rest of the time driving and writing about cars both in print and online. His love affair with cars began as a teenager with the purchase of an old VW Beetle, followed by another Beetle and a string of other cars on which he has wasted too much time and money. A self-confessed geek, he’s not afraid to ask the hard questions - at the risk of sounding silly.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments