Polestar has revealed its first electric car will be priced from $59,900.
That’s less than Mazda’s first foray into the segment, the MX-30 — which starts at $65,490.
The Mazda might be comprehensively equipped, but the Polestar 2 comes from a premium car maker and offers twice the range.
Polestar, by way of explanation, is an off-shoot of the Swedish brand Volvo and is tasked with producing performance, electric-only models.
The Polestar 2 electric performance fastback model range, with up to 300kW of power and 660Nm of torque, consists of three models:
- Standard range Single motor, priced from $59,900 — range 440km
- Long range Single motor, priced from $64,900 — range 540km
- Long range Dual motor, priced from $69,900 — range 480km
Buyers also benefit from a 5-year manufacturer warranty, 5-year roadside assistance and a 5-year service plan.
Polestar believes the car offers a compelling proposition, offering quality, design innovation, safety integrity and the performance that is central to the brand.
Polestar Australia boss, Samantha Johnson, said Aussie buyers are very receptive to new technology , with a desire for a high-quality product with superb attention to detail and an engaging drive.
“We are confident that the Polestar brand experience will hit the right note with Australian EV enthusiasts,” she said.
Defining the Polestar 2 are features such as vegan upholstery, Android Automotive OS-powered infotainment system with Google built-in, and avant-garde interior and exterior design.
Three option packs will be available, to simplify the buying process: Pilot Pack ($5000), Plus Pack ($6000) and Performance Pack ($8000).
There’s also some standalone options that include metallic paint, 20-inch alloy wheels and ventilated Nappa leather (requires Plus Pack).
Any of the option packs is likely to take the cost of the vehicle beyond that of the MX-30.
Constant development also means that new features and system upgrades can be deployed via Over-the-Air (OTA) updates, without the need to visit a service point.
Polestar will offer a direct-to-consumer online sales model supported by the physical retail presence of Polestar Spaces and Destinations.
The brand aims to have representation in various cities around Australia from early 2022, which will enable customers to experience the Polestar 2 in person, supported by Polestar Specialists.
- Pilot Pack – provides enhanced safety and driver assistance features, such as Driver Assistance with Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist, a 360-degree surround-view camera, and Driver Awareness including Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with steering support, Cross Traffic Alert with brake support, Rear Collision Warning and Pixel LED headlights with LED front fog lights.
- Plus Pack – includes high-level, premium equipment such as a full-length panoramic glass roof, premium Harman Kardon audio, WeaveTech vegan upholstery, Black Ash deco panels, fully electric heated front seats with memory, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel and heated wiper nozzles. It also includes a heat pump, which reduces the need to use valuable battery capacity to prepare and sustain the cabin climate.
- Performance Pack – is available for the Long range Dual motor variant only, and includes adjustable Öhlins dampers, Brembo brakes, forged 20-inch alloy wheels, and signature ‘Swedish gold’ details inside and out.
Polestar 2 goes on sale in January, 2022.